Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Love and Loss

“Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west… Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth.” – Isaiah 43:5-6

This is just one of the many scriptures that I have drawn some strength and comfort from over the last week. As I look back over this month, I laugh (through tears) because I thought it was the worst of our adoption journey.....that was until last week. In my last post, I told you of the referral of our sweet and perfect daughter. We have fallen completely in love with her. We have already imagined the rest of our lives loving her. We knew she had a serious heart condition, and we knew she needed multiple surgeries. We were prepared for that and all that was to come with it. We would do whatever we needed to do for her to make her healthy and give her a full and happy life. 

Last week, we learned that her heart condition is much worse than we thought. Even with surgery, it is unlikely that she will live a full life. Her condition is too far gone at this point and her only hope would be a heart and lung transplant, which the doctor here said is not always successful, if she even lived long enough to receive one. Going into this adoption process we knew it would be tough. We knew it would be long. We also knew there were precious special children half a world away who need loving families. We were prepared for all the bumps in the road. We were prepared for the long wait, for the frustration of things not moving fast enough. We were NOT prepared for this. We were NOT prepared to fall in love with a child only to find out she is dying. I have never had a miscarriage, so I do not in any way claim to know how that must feel, but if it's anything like this, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. 

Matt and I had an impossible decision to make. We discussed and considered bringing her home, loving her, and letting her live out the rest of her life with us. We also considered the impact that would have on Reese and Gray. Could we let them watch their sister die? The answer to that question was no. That would crush them and be a such a painful loss for them to experience at such a young age. I think things would be different if we didn't have them to consider too. So after much prayer we have decided to let K go. It makes me sick to think about it, but we feel like it is the best decision for our family and the right one to make. 

This whole process has been such a journey of faith for us. We have leaned on the Lord more than ever and have grown so much in our faith throughout all of this. With that said, after this loss, I have been angry. Why did God do this to her? Why has He done this to us? I know that God has a plan for us and I know that all of this is shaping us and her for something else, something greater. All of that known in my mind, my heart just can't understand. It's completely broken. It's so hard to trust right now. I will see her face every single day for the rest of my life. One of my sweet friends told me something that comforted me today. She will be in the arms of Jesus soon and we will get to meet her and hold her someday. We will be unmatched pretty soon and she will be available for adoption again. I pray that another family adopts her. I know those chances are slim, but I pray that she knows what the love of a family feels like before she's called from her earthly home. 

We have not told Reese yet. It kills us to hear her talk about her little sister knowing that she will never come home to us. We cannot tell her the truth. Reese cried when we told her that K needed heart surgery, so this would completely crush her. We will think of something to tell her. 

After this happened last week, I promised myself and Matt that we would keep all news to ourselves until it was all FINAL! After thinking and praying about that more, we've decided that it's not fair. When I started this blog, it was to document our journey and to tell the complete, wonderful, scary, beautiful, ugly, insanely tough story of adoption and what it really looks like. No sugar coating. No happily ever after. The real, honest, raw truth. Well, this is it. I talked about feeling stripped in a previous post. Matt and I feel so completely raw right now. I pray that we can start to rebuild now. I pray that the next referral we get will be the daughter that God has chosen for us. He is setting us up for something. He is opening our hearts more and more. He has opened us to more special needs. I know there is a plan behind all of it. Please pray for us. Please pray for wisdom and peace for us. Pray for a family for K. It's crazy how such joy can turn to such pain in a matter of seconds. We are slowly moving past this and are optimistically looking toward the future. My mom has been our rock through all of this. She helps give us the reassurance that we need that we are making the right decision. Our case worker, Pat, has also held us up through this decision, prayed for us and for K, and she has given us reassurance that we are making the right decision. 

So, through all of this, at the close of Thanksgiving, we are praising God and thankful for the blessings that He has given us. We are thankful for our amazing family who has supported us completely, for our friends and community who encourage us, and for our adoption agency and our caseworker, Pat. She's amazing woman of God who has worked tirelessly advocating for orphans the majority of her life. She will one day bring our baby to us. Through all the sad days, we still have so much to be thankful for! 

Thank you all for supporting us and for you kind words. Right now, we really need your prayers and thoughts. K needs them too. I'm hoping to have good news to share very soon, but it will be in His perfect timing. 

Love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment